Massage is one of the oldest healing therapies with records dating back 3000 years. Civilizations in the East and West found that massage could heal injuries, relieve pain, and prevent and cure illnesses. What’s more, it helped reduce stress and produce deep relaxation.
Therapeutic massage increasingly is being prescribed by physicians to complement traditional medical treatment for illness, injury, and pain.
Today, the benefits of massage therapy are well documented. Medical Massage has been shown to help relieve the stress and tension of everyday living that can lead to chronic conditions and illness.
“A massage from Karen is not only relaxing but has helped heal my pain! I have suffered from fibromyalgia for years. Whenever I leave her office I feel a lot better! She deserves the highest recommendation possible.”
Medical massage therapy can improve health through:
- Reduced heart rate and blood pressure
- Increased circulation and lymph flow, the body’s natural defense against toxic invaders
- Release of endorphins and serotonin, the body’s natural painkillers and mood boosters
- Reduced post-operative adhesions and edema, as well as reduced scar tissue
- Improved range of motion and decreased discomfort associated with back/neck/joint pain
- Relaxation of injured and overused muscles
- Reduced muscle spasms and cramping
- Increased joint flexibility
- Relieves migraines and headaches
- Relieves TMJ pain
- Relieves Fibromyalgia pain
Medical Massage Therapists Complete Advanced Training and Credentialing
Training is an important distinction between medical massage and spa massage. Medical massage therapists must be knowledgeable in assessment and proper documentation of functional pain, lifestyle, and ranges of motion. Advanced understanding of pathology and kinesiology is also an important part of medical massage training. In many clinical settings, additional credentialing is often required such as National Certification, additional professional certificates, continuing education hours, and additional professional licenses such as medical assistant or nurse.
Medella Optimal Health Medical Massage Therapies:
- Deep Pressure
- Deep Tissue
- Geriatric Massage
- Hot and Cold Contrast Massage
- Intra Oral Massage
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage
- Oncology Massage
- Pregnancy/Prenatal Massage
- Sports Massage
- Swedish Massage
- Thai Massage
- Trigger Point Therapy